“As news of my woodland investment spread through family and friends, I was amazed at the interest the Woodland Bond idea generated. And so a set of criteria began to emerge”:
- 1. Investors must own their wood outright.
- 2. Investors must know what they can and can’t do with our Woodland before they buy it.
- 3. Investors must know what the management company will and will not provide
- 4. If a larger wood is to be divided for multiple owners it must be still managed as a whole by one company for the protection of all of the owners investment and the benefit of the woodland as a whole.
- 5. If a large wood is to have multiple owners, for their own protection a set of clear rules would need to be created some call it a covenant we call it the Woodland Bond.
- 6. Investors must be assured that their investment is secure and well managed another reason to have a single management company for the whole project
- 7. What added value other than the piece of mind of a protected investment can be offered by signing up to the Woodland Bond?
- An easy and informative route of communication between the owners and the management company that is looking after their investment.
- A Bond holders forum and If desired the ability to share time and enjoy each others Woods in great locations right across the UK
- An ability for owners to be involved with specific maintenance tasks of the wider wood if they wish
- An easy exit route should the owners circumstances change
Each of the above criteria is covered in greater detail in the Bond document.
The next logical step was to gain approval from The Forestry Commission. I had a meeting with my regional Forestry Commission director.
The positive result from that meeting confirmed for me the concept of the Woodland Bond was good for all.
In summary, Woodland Bonds unique features are:
- 1. A clear and easy route to investing in Woodland
- 2. A management company that’s primary aim is for you to enjoy your investment
- 3. A set of rules that will protect your investment
- 4. The ability for you to choose to share time in your woods and enjoy time in other woods across the UK that are owned by Woodland Bond